I LOVE nursing gear. My youngest is 9 months now so I’ve toned it down when it comes to buying new things, but I wanted to compile a list of my favorite nursing gear because I have tried A LOT of it. Here’s a round-up of my faves:
- Nursing tanks. If you buy nothing else, buy nursing tanks. I pretty much lived in these the first few weeks after both kids were born. You can sleep in them, lounge in them, and layer with something casual or more dressy to go out. My favorite brands are Bravado and Gilligan & O’Malley.
- Theory top. LOVE this shirt. It’s a sleeveless tank layered with a long-sleeved shirt that has a very flattering cut (and who doesn’t want a flattering cut postpartum)? You can nurse in public without a cover quite discreetly. I wear this at least once per week and it is one of the best investments I made!
- Loyal Hana. Loyal Hana is a great brand with stylish clothing, many characterized by discrete zippers that hide within the fabric. Pull the zipper down and you can nurse anywhere. This is one of my favorite dresses. And this is the shirt I wear most frequently after my nursing tanks. A few caveats however: your breast is pretty much fully exposed when you pull down the zipper, so not the most discrete if this matters to you. I was also a bit peeved when I purchased online during a sale and received non-sale items with a notice that they could not be returned. This seemed like a shady business practice and I did mention it to them – not sure if they have modified their practice since this occurred. Just something to be wary of if you order online – be prepared to keep everything that you order!
- A poncho. How can you go wrong with a poncho? It’s super versatile, you can nurse anywhere with minimal effort, and it can be used as a fashion staple after you’re done nursing. I really love the soft cashmere fabric. One downside: it doesn’t look great when wearing a backpack and my diaper bag and nursing bags are backpacks. But I do love wearing it otherwise, and it is one of my favorite travel accessories!
- Nursing scarf, slings. I love items that serve dual purposes. My Nuroo scarf goes with pretty much everything, and it can be worn a few different ways. And it doubles as a nursing cover! There are also a slew of beautiful slings that you can use as baby carriers and nursing covers. My second would often nurse in this sling and it wasso practical! I also used it a ton to travel with my first because it has a small zippered pocket where you can store money, credit cards, ID, etc.
Happy shopping (and nursing)!